Get Ready for Race Day: January 25, 2020!
The Derby will be held in the Lower Church Hall at Incarnate Word.
Weigh-ins are Friday evening (1/24) from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. Cars must be weighed and dropped off to be eligible for the race on Saturday. The Parent/Sibling Derby is also on Friday evening at 7:45 p.m.
The official Pinewood Derby races are from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 25. This is a family event so bring the grandparents, uncles, cousins, and anyone else who might enjoy the race.
"Be Fast... or Look Good Trying"
The Pinewood Derby is one of the most popular and successful family activities in Cub Scouting. Pinewood Derby cars are small wooden models that Cub Scouts make with help from their families. Then they race the cars in competition. The cars are powered by gravity and run down a track. Every boy can design and build his own "grand prix" car to enter in the race.
Race Day Highlights & Prizes
The Scout Derby - with the eight fastest cars qualifying for the District Pinewood Derby on February 29, 2020.
**Please note the updates in the Pinewood Derby Race rules attached below**
The IW Design Competition
As we like to say: strut your stuff, not your speed. There are awards for excellence in design. We encourage your Scout to keep a category in mind when he starts to design his car:
- Judge's Special: best overall design
- Cub Built: 99% built by a Cub Scout without help
- IW Excellence: reflecting Incarnate Word Church & School
- Best Automotive Design Car: realistic representation of an actual car with unusual attention to detail and shape
- Original Design: reflects the most unusual approach in other than a car design. For example, a pool table, dragon, pirate ship, submarine, fish, campsite, etc.
- Best Concept Car: a novel and different approach in car design. For example, a Batmobile, jet cars, futuristic cars, manufacturer's prototype cars, etc.
- Funniest Design: most humorous approach, either a car or non-car design
- Cub Special: best use of Cub Scout colors, blue & gold. Either car or non-car design
It is important to follow the rules for size and weight when building your car. Follow this link for a complete set of this year's race rules.
You can view the New Horizons District design competition rules (for cars focused on design, not performance) at this link.
Pinewood Derby Workshop
December 28, 2019
Bruce Mayberry has again graciously offered to hold a Pinewood Derby car workshop. You can sign up for a specific time slot.
The boys are not permitted to use power tools but they are encouraged to design the shape of their cars, sand them, and decorate them accordingly. Parents are encouraged to assist the child but they should let the child do most of the work.
See more information and a signup sheet here.